10.16.2008

::in my weakness, His strength is made perfect::

Jay and I have a new saying.  It was birthed sometime in the summer and we only use it periodically, but especially when necessary.  Our saying is "Fostering isn't for sissies."  There are so many different scenarios that can spark this comment. Waking up one morning with one plan in mind and mid-day getting a phone call from DHS asking if we could take a child, having the struggles that go along with having an abused child (and an ADHD child), and  having a child removed from our home that we have cared for and loved as our own are only a few examples that cause us to say "Fostering is not for sissies!"  Exactly 6 weeks ago today, we got a phone call about a one year old little girl that needed temporary placement while they did background checks and tried to find family that was fit to care for her in her mother's absence.  She was with us for 5 weeks and 1 day before being placed with her great aunt and great uncle.  In 5 weeks (and 1 day) it is very possible to fall in love with a child and to adapt a schedule among such chaos and craziness.  In 5 weeks (and 1 day) it is also possible to learn so much from the Lord.  Through that time, we learned things about ourselves and about the Lord that we never could have learned without her.  I personally learned that the Lord is the only giver of peace.  After having her for about two weeks and realizing that I was growing so attached to her (and she to me) I began praying that the Lord would give me what I needed to willingly accept whatever it was that He had for her life.  I also began studying about what it means to "guard your heart".  What I learned was to guard your heart does not mean that you can't give love.  In fact, Jesus commands that we love one another (John 15:17).  To guard your heart means to allow Jesus to have the number one spot.  So I prayed that I would let Him reside in the place that He desired in me as I continued praying that He would equip me with what I needed to accept the Lord's plan for this child.  Last Thursday when her social worker called to inform us that they were ready to move her to be with family, I was very sad but I had an overwhelming peace, a peace like no other time in my life.  I truly felt the presence of the Lord as I packed the things she came with and the things she had accumulated.  I prayed for my children to feel the same peace as they prepared to say goodbye to her as well.   I am very glad to say that everything is good here at the Adkins house.  We all miss the sweet blessing that was able to be here for a short time, but we know that the Lord loves her so much more than we could.  He used our family to stand in the gap as a mother, a father, brothers and a sister to her when her own family was not able to.  We are very honored for the privilege that was ours to be the hands and feet, the arm, the lap and the heart of Jesus to a sweet little girl caught in the crossfire of the enemy's schemes.  There are so many other things I learned, and I will probably post later, but for now, I leave you with this:  

Matthew 22:36-40
36 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?"
37 Jesus said to him, " 'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind." 
38 This is the first and great commandment.  
39 And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'
40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." 

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing story! I know you guys have got to be some wonderful parents and the Lord is using you greatly.

    ReplyDelete