9.15.2010

Esther

I'm reading the NIV chronological bible. We have been reading in Esther for a few days now, but today I looked back at the beginning of it once more. I noticed something this time that I have never noticed before in reading through the book of Esther. I always knew that she was raised by her cousin, Mordecai. I have never noticed though that she was adopted by him. It says in Esther 2:7 that when her father and mother died, Mordecai took her as his own daughter. How cool is that!? She was adopted. And because of Mordecai's selflessness and his willingness to take her as his own, her life was used mightily. Where might she have ended up had she not been adopted by Mordecai? Where might an entire people group (the Jews) be had he not been willing to take Esther as his own? Adoption is a theme that is found throughout the Bible and I will not look at the book of Esther in the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment