9.07.2010

Read at your own Risk

Once again it has been a while since I've blogged. And it seems that I only blog when tragedy happens, so for that, I'm sorry. Yesterday was pretty tragic for our family, and only someone with a pet that you love and that loves you back will understand our heartache. Mayer was just fine yesterday morning. He was just fine yesterday at lunchtime when we left our house. When we returned just a few hours later, he was not fine. We could tell he was still breathing and his heart was still beating, but he was not responsive. Being Labor Day, we couldn't find a vet open anywhere... but we found an Animal Hospital open in Horn Lake. Sadly, he didn't make it even to Hernando. He died with Chloe petting him and assuring him that everything is ok. We turned around at Hernando and came back home to bury him next to Jasmine under the trees behind our house. So just short of his 7th birthday, Mayer died. He would have turned 7 on September 11th. A little background on Mayer... First, you must know that he is the second edition to Chloe's pet miniature daschunds. The first edition was Oscar. He had a birth defect and died at just 14 weeks old. She was devastated then as well. She was three years old and Jay decided to go out and get her another mini daschund. He found the biggest and healthiest pup he could and that is how Mayer came to be part of the Adkins family. He was a terrific dog! Barked like a watch dog, loved Chloe like a good friend. Only listened, never talked back. :) He will definitely not be able to be replaced!! We will miss him. And, as a mom, my heart hurt just to see my daughter so crushed! So, we're not sure what happened or why he died so early in his life... We just know that he had a good life here, he was loved, and he loved us back.

On another note, Saturday was 2 years since we met Kira, and Sunday was her 3rd birthday. Many emotions came with that for me. Mainly grief. I was not expecting to feel that sadness all over again. The way she left was very traumatic... I imagine much like a death. I haven't seen her since the day she left. It's hard to remind myself in times like this that "This is just what we do." That's the saying Jay and I have to remind us that we know it is going to be hard, but we are parents when these kids need them and we are not doing this for us, but to be a light in the darkness... hope to the hopeless... and friends to the fatherless.
2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

One last thing... Ana has been here full time for 5 months now. Only one more month before we can get the ball rolling on the adoption!

No comments:

Post a Comment