1.05.2011

Rant #2

I warned you in the last rant, so here goes nothin..

I'm not sure why people think they have the right to judge my family, my motives, my heart, or especially my baby just because of the color of her skin.  I happen to have 2 blonde haired and blue eyed very white kids and one beautiful brown skinned, black haired, black eyed baby...  And I'm more than ok with that!  That's the way God intended it.  He knew the days ordained for her even before one of them came to be says Psalm 139:16. God orchestrated this adoption and called us to it long before we ever knew what was happening.  But, we live in the south.  We live in a place where ignorance in the form of racism and bigotry exists.  We live in a place where people think that they have a right to express verbally their ignorance and I'm sure it will not stop just because I have posted this rant.   We live in a place that is full of tradition and "deep roots".  We live in a place where people say "The south will rise again" and they do not even fully grasp the magnitude of what they are saying!!  Jay and I did not adopt Ana to change the minds of everyone we come in contact with though.  We adopted Ana because God called us to it and we wanted to be obedient to what He has in store for our family.  We adopted her because He placed a deep love in us for this child that is identical to the love we have for our 2 birth children.  We adopted her because she was made for our family and she is just as much an Adkins as anyone else that lives here...  No, we didn't do it to change anyone's mind, and if nothing ever changes because of it, it was all worth it.  If people still feel the right or need to share their disapproving words, that's fine because in the end, I don't answer to the racist ignorance of the southern people.  I am only accountable to my Heavenly Father and that is enough. But in a perfect world (ha ha) a person would not be judged by the color of their skin, there would be no racism, no preconceived notions..  I will choose to judge based on a person's character, and I will pray that my grand children will only hear about racism in history books.

5 comments:

  1. You go girl! I am behind ya 100%! And I love all the blogging lately! :) Can't wait to meet Ana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer I admire you and your family so much and I only hope the Lord allows Adam and I to adopt a sweet child like Ana. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO girlfriend! I know one day Josh and I will be facing the same exact thing. The Lord has already called us to adopt one child from Africa and another from memphis. It's odd to explain but I already love these children like I have them here now. I know people will make those same remarks. I'm encouraged to know that you are overcoming that now. God allows us to go through things so that one day we can encourage and give advice to others. I know exactly who I will be coming to in the hard days that will face me ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to High School with Jay and I was one of four african americans in our class. I think what you are doing is WONDERFUL! Ana is beautiful and is so blessed to be part of your family!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete