8.15.2013

Good enough for me

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28, ESV)

This verse is one that I've looked at many times before.  I've needed it for comfort because life is not comfortable or easy.  Here are some things I've realized about this verse.  

* "those who love God" are born again believers in Jesus Christ.
* " all things" means just that..  ALL things.  Everything.. Hard things, fun things, sad things, things that we don't understand or comprehend, things that seem out of control..  ALL things.
* "for good".. Good?  

What is good, anyway?  Because I have a plan that is good..  It doesn't involve pain, hurt, sadness, trials, heartache, devastation, etc..  My plan is good..  It's fun and happy!  I mean, it is sunshine and lollipops good!  My plan is for orphans to have homes and the poor and needy to be rich and generously blessed.  My plan is for justice to always prevail.  My plan is that my friends wouldn't struggle and my family would all be healthy, always...  My plan... doesn't leave room for redemption.  My plan doesn't leave room for weakness.  My plan doesn't leave room for trusting in a holy God.  What is good, then?  God.  God is good. 

Mark 10:18 says, And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. 

Only God is good..  And only God can determine what is GOOD.  In the beginning, God created all things.  After each day of creation, God saw that it was good.  He is the definer of all things good.  He has a plan that is good.  His plan is a plan of redemption and His plan allows for us to be weak because He is strong.  His plan allows us to be completely out of control of all things because He is causing all things to work together for good by His definition.  

We live in a world where things seem to be so chaotic and so out of control.  Each day is given to us as an ordained day orchestrated by a sovereign God.  Our responsibility as believers is not to make God look good, not to make all things seem to be working together for good, but to trust in His definition of good and to joyfully submit to His will daily.  We are to proclaim His redeeming goodness to a hurting world and allow our hurts to minister to those that are also afflicted.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

Comfort, affliction, redeeming love, grace, bearing with one another in our sufferings, mercy, God.  All good..  And that is good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment