8.01.2013

Zim 13

I just returned from a 2 week trip to Zimbabwe and I want to share my time there with you.  Pack your imaginary bags, we're off for a distant land!

We left on the morning of July 14th and arrived on the evening of the 15th.  We were the last flight in for the evening.  Our guides from ACTS picked us up and we were on our way to the guest house for an overnight stay.  Tuesday morning, we departed early for the ministry sight, Mberengwa Caring Centre, an orphanage... (That makes 3 orphanages I've visited in 3 different locations since March.  Haiti, Honduras and Zimbabwe)

My two weeks in Zimbabwe resulted in sweet fellowship with The Lord. I began noticing that almost every day while I was there, "wait on The Lord" was a theme for Israel in the book of Isaiah. God convicted me of having a longing and a waiting for things other than Him. It went WAYYY back too.. I have struggled with infertility for many years and waited for adoptions to become a reality.. Even as I was sitting in Zimbabwe in those first days, I was trying to not be focused on getting home to meet the newest little guy that we will be fostering to (hopefully) adopt. That's when I was hit with the convicting truth that waiting on or longing for anything other than Jesus is sin. It doesn't produce righteousness... I have repented and am daily repenting. I want for the deepest desire of my heart to be an intense and genuine longing for Christ. I have repented also for thinking that any of my kids need me.. In reality, God is using me in their life, and it is a tremendous blessing, but what they need is their own deep longing for Christ.. So, I have come back from Zim with a new truth. One that I had a knowledge of, but now I am trusting The Lord for the grace to apply it to my life daily.  I think that's one of the reasons that the Lord has had me visit 3 orphanages in 3 completely different pars of the world in 4 months.  I don't know if what He wanted to show me would have been as powerful without the setting being what it was.  I still love and want desperately to meet this little guy that will be coming into our home, but I am aware that the deepest longing of my heart should only be for Jesus.  

Verses from Isaiah on waiting:

But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:31, ESV)

“If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath,
from doing your pleasure on my holy day,
and call the Sabbath a delight
and the holy day of the Lord honorable;
if you honor it, not going your own ways,
or seeking your own pleasure, or talking idly;
then you shall take delight in the Lord,
and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth;
I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father,
for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.” (Isaiah 58:13-14, ESV)
And from Psalms:

Psalm 25

Psalm 62

Psalm 112

Psalm 130

Psalm 131


One other resource the Lord used to teach me to wait on Him was Gregg Fort. He spent his days with us teaching us about the temptation of Jesus from Matthew 4.  He shared with us questions that each of the temptations of Christ should cause us to ask ourselves.  
  • The 1st temptation raises the question "What is is that nourishes your soul?"
  • The 2nd temptation raises the question "Who gets credit/glory for your life?"
  • And the 3rd temptation's question... "What is going to become the object of worship in our life?
The bottom line as told by Gregg, "Listening to the voice of Satan is never going to accomplish God's purpose."

May I continue on in an attitude of waiting on and trusting in the Lord, His timing, plan and purpose and in turn, may my life glorify Him.  

1 comment:

  1. jennifer i must say that was beautiful it brought tears to my eyes.u see GOD in a way that i never have.i believe in the lord but im lacking in getting to know him better and having FAITH in him.i truly love what you are doing in ur work with the lord...ur story is priceless and it goes right to the heart....keep up the good work u are a angel here on earth.

    ReplyDelete